Friday, May 29, 2009

A thank you letter from a lady



Dear Senior-General,
>
> I trust you will excuse my handwriting. I am writing by candlelight.
> It seems there is not much electricity in this part of Rangoon these
> days. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you.
> After so many years of looking out at Inya Lake, a change of scenery
> was most welcome, although I must confess I am somewhat disappointed
> with the décor and landscape gardening in my new compound. Most
> importantly though, I must thank you for your unflinching political
> support. I thought that the world had forgotten about me, but you made
> sure that my face reappeared on TV all over the world. You had
> previously cautioned foreign governments not to focus so much on one
> person (me), but now you have magnanimously ensured that my name is on
> the lips of every diplomat in Rangoon. The international community has
> a reputation for having a short attention span. Thanks to your
> efforts, Burma is back on the front pages of the newspapers. I believe
> that the US and the EU were in a bit of a pickle about how to handle
> the economic sanctions issue and recognition of next year’s election.
> Now, thanks to your clear-cut methods and no-nonsense approach, those
> countries will have no hesitation in making
> decisions with regard to the
> Burmese government’s status.
> In fact, talking of the election, on behalf of my party, the NLD, let
> me also thank you for your PR efforts on our
> behalf. With so many members in prison and so few opportunities to
> canvas for contributions, we have not been able to promote our
> democratic cause as we would like over the last few years. However, as
> you have single-handedly reminded the
> population of Burma of the differences between right and wrong,
> between truth and deceit and between justice and farce, I am sure we
> won’t need any other marketing campaigns to generate support. You have
> become the pro-democracy movement’s greatest benefactor.
> Well done! If you ever find yourself overthrown by an internal coup,
> don’t hesitate to give the NLD a call. We always need a PR agent like
> you on our books.
> And, of course, thanks for the exposure to your military justice
> system. I have been waiting a long time to see it up close and
> personal. Next time you permit reporters and diplomats in the
> courtroom, might I request that you invite the Australian ambassador?
>
> After all, with his experience in the Australian outback I am sure he
> will have a better understanding of a kangaroo court. (Lol!)
>
> At least here in Insein I should be safe from crazy intruders. You
> would think that with all the security forces and intelligence
> personnel that the government has at its disposal that it would be
> impossible for even James Bond to get past them. But I suppose if a
> secret agent disguised himself as a middle-aged, overweight,
> delusional American skinny-dipper then he would be a lot more
> difficult to catch.
> Right? Anyway, I am sure you are busy with your Naypyidaw projects,
> so I won’t take up any more of your precious time. Thank you again for
> everything you have done for our country. After the Burmese people
> have democracy, please allow us to reciprocate.
>
> Yours in captivity,
> Aung San Suu Kyi
> Insein Prison

No comments: