Development Officer (LE 09)
Notice No: 14- YNGON-03
Level: Asst - 09
Starting Salary: USD 18,616/- per annum
Issuance Date: February 3, 2014
Closing Date: February 16, 2014; 1600 hours
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours/week
The Embassy of Canada in YANGON is soliciting applications for the position of Development Officer in the Development Assistance section. The position is based at the Embassy’s offices in Yangon, Burma.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST:
- Meet all of the essential requirements stated below
- Have independent work authorization in Myanmar (Burma)
- Submit resumes with cover letters, stating their interest and suitability, by the closing date
Education: Graduate degree from a recognized university in a field of study of relevance to international development (development studies, political science, public administration, economics, international relations, public policy, public sector management, anthropology, environment, etc.) or an acceptable combination of education, training and experience.
Language: A superior command of English & Burmese, including excellent writing skills in English.
- Recent (within last 7 years) & significant (approximately 3 years) experience working with development cooperation partners and stakeholders;
- Recent (within last 7 years) experience in planning, managing, monitoring or evaluating development cooperation projects;
- Recent (within last 7 years) experience in monitoring, analyzing and reporting on political, social or economic development trends, issues or policy developments.
Computer Skills: MS-Office (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint), MS Outlook, Internet.
- Sound understanding of development issues such as human rights, democratic governance and sustainable economic growth;
- Knowledge of international development issues and trends, including international and Canadian aid effective principles;
- In-depth knowledge of the development context in Burma;
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management and monitoring;
- Knowledge of the Burmese government ministries and the regulatory environment.
- Ability to write reports and briefings to management on international development issues;
- Ability to plan and organize programs for field monitoring visits, high level visits and other international development related events with tight deadlines and minimal supervision;
- Ability to analyze the issues and challenges faced by the local Government;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English & Burmese;
- Professional Integrity
- Adaptability & Flexibility
- Network/Alliance Building
- Interpersonal Relations & Respect
- Available to work overtime and travel within Myanmar and abroad
Asset Qualifications: (Candidates are encouraged to indicate how they meet the following criteria, where applicable)
- Master’s degree from a recognized university in international development studies, economics, public administration or a related field.
- Experience as a project or program officer in a bilateral or multilateral development institution or a non-governmental organization;
- Experience organizing meetings, conferences, field visits or special events.
- Fluency in French (oral & written);
Under the general direction of the Head of Cooperation (HoC), the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- assist in the identification, development, management and monitoring of Official Development Assistance (ODA) Programmes at the mission;
- identify, assess and negotiate new projects; manage and administer local bilateral and regional projects locally, assist with the implementation of non-bilateral programs; and perform other duties as required.
All applications will be carefully reviewed against the mandatory and desired requirements of the job. Please note that failure to meet any of the mandatory requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition.
Candidates screened in will be contacted for further assessment, including: a personal interview with a series of questions designed to evaluate the applicant’s knowledge, abilities, competencies and personal suitability for the position. In addition, tests may be conducted to assist the selection board in assessing the applicant’s qualifications, skills and language ability. Reference verifications will be conducted as a part of the hiring process.
The results of this competition may also be used to establish an eligibility list to staff similar openings at the Embassy which may arise in the twelve (12) months following the completion of this competition.
Conditions of Employment (MUST BE MET):
The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to a Reliability Check (RC) obtained by the Management. To conduct the Reliability Check (RC), the candidate will have to submit the following documents on being selected by the mission.
- Police clearance certificate (Character Certificate)
- Letter of recognition from your bank stating your name, years of client service and your address
- Professional and educational certificates and mark sheets (i.e., academic transcripts)
How to apply:
Send your CV and a cover letter, to the Human Resources Manager at delhi.competitions-
PLEASE QUOTE COMPETITION 14-YNGON-03
Only applications (CV and cover letter) received at the above email address before the final date of submission and time will be considered. Hard copy applications will not be accepted.